1. The use of an automatic cartoning machine
You can use automatic cartoners in different applications. Some of the main uses of cartoning machines include:
- Automatic folding and conveying of single carton
- Sort and enter packaging materials and products into the system.
- shaped blanks in the carton so that they can stand up straight for easy product packaging.
- Seal the bottom of the carton, face up and upright.
- Pack the product into a carton or pack the product into a carton.
- Correctly fold the sleeves on the carton.
- Side seam the seams of the carton with different products such as staples or glue.
- Sealed carton for storage or shipping.
- Print the label on the carton. Automatic cartoners give you the opportunity to pack different sizes and shapes of stock into cartons. In other words, you will use a cartoning machine for the following needs.
- Protect the product inside the carton to make it easy to transport
- This machine has automatic characteristics, which can pack a variety of products in a short time, saving time.
- The seal on the carton is tamper-proof, thus protecting the product from damage, especially in harsh environments.
- the production of cartons that can handle different types of goods.
2. Type of Automatic Cartoning Machine
The main types of automatic cartoners are:
1) Continuous automatic cartoning machine
You can also identify it as a high-speed packaging machine, you can use a high-speed production line. You can use it to make sturdy stock and regular-shaped cartons that require little or no special handling regulations. It combines a pneumatic-optical-mechanical mechanism to facilitate all high-speed functions of the machine.
Advantages of continuous automatic cartoners
The use of continuous mode automatic cartoner has the following advantages:
- Operates at very high speed allowing faster carton output.
- It is very accurate, thus increasing the efficiency of boxing
- Requires very little, or even to some extent, no processing terms, thus reducing production costs.
- The chain is progressive, facilitating the execution of the wrapper.
- Due to the speed, you can save a lot of time compared to other types.
- It is fully automatic, thus allowing you to include parameters and control the entire process from one place.
Disadvantages of continuous automatic cartoning machine
When you operate a continuous automatic cartoning machine, you may experience the following disadvantages:
- It will limit your carton to solid and regular shapes.
- The initial cost of acquiring and installing this machine is quite high.
- The high packing speed of the machine does not allow the packing cycle.
Main features of continuous automatic cartoning machine
The continuous automatic cartoning machine has the following characteristics:
- The machine has sensitive sensors that can automatically stop affecting or completely stop the operation of the machine. The machine stops when:
- Without products, there would be no attractive flyers, and without flyers, there would be no attractive cartons.
- Low or no load will automatically stop the machine
- A continuous lack of sucking leaflets will cause the machine to stop automatically.
- When the compressed air is low or negative pressure, shut down.
- It has a pusher to make the operation more convenient.
- With the presence of 3 dial scales, different sizes can be easily and quickly switched through the handwheel.
- Overload protection is present on the main drive.
- Servo drive loading system.
- Pneumatic and electrical components to power most operations.
- Touch screen system can automatically display fault alarm, display and counter for easy monitoring.
Continuous ModeAutomatic Cartoner Parts
The normal operation of the continuous automatic cartoner depends on the following parts.
- Control panel system, equipped with PLC control system and touch screen display.
- Provide enough power to drive the electrical panels and motors of the machine.
- Lubrication systems that lubricate moving parts to reduce friction and subsequent damage.
- Use an inkjet printer to print the label and date on the packaged carton.
- Safety system with sensors to protect you and the machine.
- Rollers, conveyors, carton chutes and guides for efficient movement of cartons and products.
- Packing and loading system.
The working principle of continuous mode automatic cartoning machine
The following steps are followed in the normal operation of a continuous automatic cartoner.
Step 1: Put the carton in place
With the help of guardrails and push plates, the cartons are moved from the machine box entrance. The machine positions and opens the box, sucking up and closing the bottom of the carton with air pressure. On the conveyor belt, the cartons enter the loading area at the correct angle.
Step 2: Pack the product into the carton
At this point, the machine’s mechanical system precisely and gently loads the product into the carton. The carton is then moved to the folding area.
Step 3: Fold the Ears of the Carton
The machine automatically folds the left and right ears of the carton by rotating motion. Push plate and cam-coupled motors assist in folding the carton ears.
Step 4: Seal the Carton
The machine closes the tongue of the paper tray and secures the paper tray so that the paper tray is fully locked. You can decide to glue seal or staple them depending on the type of product you want to secure.
Step 5: Printing and Quality Assurance
After that, the machine checks the integrity of the cartons and separates the good cartons from the bad cartons. It continues to the print area, where the inkjet printer prints the labels and dates on the carton. The carton is ready for storage and subsequent shipping.
2) Intermittent automatic cartoning machine
Batch auto cartoners are very similar to continuous automatic cartoning machine. The only difference is speed, as autoboxing in intermittent mode is about 150 times slower.
The reduction in speed occurs due to the machine stopping and giving time to the punching cycle. You can apply it in different applications such as charge cards, bottles, injection trays, ointments, pills or rectangular items.
Advantages of batch automatic cartoning machine
The main advantages of using an intermittent automatic cartoner are:
- Allows boxing loops so you have the opportunity to create cartons of different shapes and sizes.
- It is fully automatic, so most operations can be controlled by a computerized system.
- Compared with semi-automatic machines, it is efficient, fast and accurate, saving you a lot of time.
- You don’t need a lot of skilled labor, thus reducing the total cost of production.
- The operation is stable and the adjustment system is simple and convenient.
Disadvantages of batch automatic cartoners
Utilizing this machine has some disadvantages, including:
- It is slower than the automatic cartoner in continuous mode.
- Machines are expensive, especially in the initial stages of purchase and installation.
Main features of intermittent automatic cartoning machine
The main features of the intermittent automatic cartoner are:
- There is a complete servo system and timing belt drive system, no lubrication system.
- Adjustable servo motor, auxiliary feeding and packing carton.
- It also has an automatic PLC control system that you can operate on the touch screen interface. The system allows automatic configuration of alphanumeric displays, with automatic speed regulation and counting mechanisms.
- Photoelectric monitoring and detection system realizes overload protection, detects and displays machine faults. It can also perform on-machine diagnostics to detect problems and stop operations automatically.
- Various packing sizes within a specific range can also be detected without replacing parts. This is possible especially with the convenient and easy adjustment system.
- It is equipped with a feeding mechanism, which can realize stand-alone production.
- The machine also features a transparent and innovative safety system that enhances the safety and common view of the machine.
3) Batch Automatic Cartoning Machine Parts
The machine relies on the following components to facilitate smooth operation.
- Conveyor belts, drive systems and guardrails to assist in the transportation of cartons and products.
- The electrical system powers all major operations of the batch auto cartoning machine.
- blank carton sections, you will load the blank carton on the machine for easy access.
- Carton feeding system, which assists in taking out the carton from the empty box area and feeding it into the machine.
- Folding system to fold the carton into different shapes and sizes
- Touch screen, all operations can be monitored and controlled from one seat.
- PLC control system, give you the correct interface programming machine input packing credentials.
- Carton sealing device, giving the carton a good seal, will protect the integrity of the carton.
- An eject slot that guides the carton to the right side of the conveyor belt for further processing.
- An inspection system that allows you to separate good and bad cartons
The working principle of intermittent automatic cartoning machine
The working principle behind automatic batch cartoners is as follows.
Step 1: Action under the box
First, the machine picks out empty boxes from the empty box area through the box feeding system. After this, the push plate and guide rails assist in pushing the case open while the back cover is closed. As long as the carton is at the correct angle, it continues to the loading area.
Step 2: Pack the carton
At this point, the machine loads the product into the carton and pushes it to the folding area.
Step 3: Carton Folding Area
The push plate flips the carton and closes the lower end flap and the upper-end ear. The machine adopts a rotary motion to completely fold and compress the box ears so that the box ears do not rotate.
Step 4: Cover Action Phase
The machine folds the carton to the tongue and pushes the carton to bend with the push plate. It also ensures that the tongue locks the carton, thus ensuring the integrity of the carton. Integrity testing marks the end of the boxing process.
4) Vertical automatic cartoning machine
Vertical automatic cartoners introduce products and cartons vertically from the feeding system. It can handle a wide variety of products, making it ideal for handling jars, bottles and through-holes. You’d better use it in the pharmaceutical, cosmetic and food industries.
The advantages of vertical automatic cartoning machine
With a vertical automatic cartoner, you will enjoy the following benefits:
- Allows robust and simple format changes. For example, you don’t have to adjust the track when you want to make a curve on the carton.
- Flexible can adopt the working principle of intermittent and vertical cartoning machine.
- It has an accessible workstation where you can use other boxing features.
- You can easily add other equipment such as an additional transport system.
- The machine has an open structure and is easy to clean.
- You can also choose an HMI system that simplifies all operations into one operator. This option will reduce overall production costs by reducing the number of employees.
- Vertical covers very small space, you probably don’t need a huge space to put the machine.
- Vertical feeding system, which reduces the risk of product damage and ensures the safety of the product.
Disadvantages of vertical automatic cartoners
Using a vertical automatic cartoner may have the following disadvantages.
- Setting up the entire machine at the initial stage is expensive because the machine is expensive to acquire.
- You may need to train more staff in case the machine lacks HMI control system.
- There is a danger of objects falling from the top and additional safety measures are required.
Main features of vertical automatic cartoning machine
The main features of the vertical automatic cartoning machine are:
- The compact and flexible design allows you to switch operations at will, meeting most industrial operations.
- It is characterized by the conversion of format parts combined with modern technology, enabling the vertical feeding position of the carton.
- Vertical placement reduces the risk of product damage and eliminates long delays in the feeding system.
- Has an automatic detection system that can detect the presence of leaflets or other products.
- The machine can automatically reject cartons in case of lost products.
- When the machine is overloaded, the sensor will automatically stop the operation
- The safety of the machine is improved by automatically displaying problems through self-diagnosis.
- It allows to adopt a man-machine operating system, making it more convenient.
Vertical automatic cartoner parts
The main components of the vertical automatic cartoning system include:
- The touch screen is fully integrated with the PLC system, allowing you to control and monitor the operation of the machine.
- Packing tubes and filling tubes for conveying the product to the machine.
- Conveyor system, gear system and pneumatic system to assist product movement in the machine.
- Bottling system to deliver bottles to the crating area.
- Folding system to fold the carton into the proper shape and size.
- Electrical devices that control the power to the vertical automatic cartoner.
- Packaging system to automatically put products into cartons.
- cartoning system with complete loading system.
- sensors and alarm system to automatically trigger or shut down the operation of the machine.
Working principle of vertical automatic cartoning machine
The vertical automatic cartoner depends on the following steps:
Step 1: Feed the carton
The machine automatically picks empty cartons and shapes them into a good ones. The carton is then erected and positioned at the right angle for vertical packaging.
Step 2: Fold the Ears
At this stage, the machine will fold the ears of the carton in preparation for proper tucking. The ears can be folded and joined together to cover the bottom of the carton before inserting the product.
Step 3: Product Insertion
In a vertical automatic cartoner, the insertion of the product is a top-to-bottom carton. For products whose package contents may spill.
Step 4: Seal the Box
After inserting the product, you can close the carton by tucking the tongue into the carton. Depending on the type of product, you can glue or staple the carton to increase the integrity of the seal.
Step 5: Inkjet Printing and Date Stamping
In the final stage, the machine prints the label on the carton and imprints the date on the carton. It goes through an inspection phase before being stored.
5) Horizontal automatic cartoning machine
The horizontal cartoner inserts the product into the carton from the side of the carton. The horizontal automatic cartoning machine can work either continuously or intermittently. It can be used for the packaging of cakes, pizza, vacuum-packed coffee, rice and other foods.
The advantages of horizontal automatic cartoning machine
With a horizontal automatic cartoner, you will enjoy the following advantages:
- The operation is simple, most of the operations are automatic and direct.
- Save your time because it can pack different sizes of products in a very short time.
- Compared to vertical automatic cartoning machine, it is safer because it has minimal risk of product dropping.
- Provide a wider platform for other operations to facilitate cleaning and maintenance.
- You don’t need to hire expensive skilled workers as most operations are automated.
Disadvantages of horizontal automatic cartoning machine
The disadvantages of choosing a horizontal automatic cartoning machine are:
- The machine covers a large area in the horizontal direction and occupies a large area.
- This machine is heavy and delicate, once you have it installed you have no freedom to move it.
- The initial procurement and installation costs are very high.
- Hiring additional employees increases the cost of production.
Main features of horizontal automatic cartoning machine
The main features that promote the normal operation of the horizontal cartoning machine are:
- Have the best brand of electrical components such as a PLC control system for monitoring the machine.
- Adopt a human-machine interface as a reliable operating system.
- The horizontal direction increases the stability of the machine, so it is easy to operate.
- It comes with a touch screen that automatically displays any problems and gives an alert when something goes wrong.
- If the leaflet or packaged product is missing, the machine will automatically reject the product. In extreme cases, the machine automatically stops, thus increasing the safety of the machine.
Horizontal automatic cartoning machine parts
The main components of the horizontal automatic cartoning machine include:
- Adjustable screw for adjusting the machine operating parameters.
- Overload protection sprockets to prevent the machine from overloading
- If necessary, gear down to reduce speed.
- Carton down grip cam allows you to keep the carton in place during packing.
- Large and small tongue sealing cams to help carton sealing.
- Folding mechanism to fold the carton into suitable size and shape.
- The main drive shaft wheel and conveyor belt control the transportation of products such as cartons.
- Carton suction nozzles to help open the carton.
- Blister output cam
- Blister sheet inlet cam for inserting leaflets
- West controls the eccentric gear of the printing press.
- Handwheel and Rotary Cam
- Clutch breaker and torque overload protector.
- Automatic lubrication system.
Working principle of horizontal automatic cartoning machine
To operate a horizontal automatic cartoning machine, the following steps are required.
Step 1: Put the empty carton in place
First, the carton will come out of the blank carton area through the feeding system. The push plate and guide rails ensure opening at the correct angle. At this stage, the machine folds the carton into the proper shape through a series of push-pull systems.
Step 2: Loading Area
One carton is in the loading area; the machine will load the product from the side. Since this machine is a horizontal automatic cartoning machine, the cartoning starts from the side of the carton. The machine inserts the product into the carton accurately and gently.
Step 3: Fold the Lid of the Carton
A chain conveyor moves the cartons to the folding area. In addition, the target point of the machine is the ear of the carton, which will form the seal of the carton. Fold up the left and right ears of the carton by rotating motion. The motor pushes the push plate, which folds the box ears, forming the tongue.
Step 4: Seal the Box
The conveyor belt moves the carton to the sealing area, where the machine tucks the tongue. The push plate pushes the tongue in a coordinated manner to form a tight lock and seal. Actions are on the left and right of the carton. After that, the machine inspects the carton and moves it to the loading and unloading area for storage.
3. Semi-automatic cartoning machine Vs automatic cartoning machine
Semi-automatic cartoners do not have an automatic feeding system to simplify operation. Due to the lack of automation of the feeding system, output and production speed were reduced.
In addition to that, you will need to hire many operators to have an efficient production unit. It has specific design features that enable it to handle blister packs of cartons, bags, bottles, tubes and pouches. You may get some intricate designs that allow the inclusion of other accessories such as:
- I box magazines.
- Frame conveyor
- Automatic folding machine to open and close the carton cover.
The benefits of using a semi-automatic cartoning machine include:
- Low maintenance cost
- Configurable safety devices, such as human-machine interfaces, protect the integrity of the machine.
- It is adjustable and allows a wide array of carton shapes and sizes
- You can use semi-skilled workers as it does not require the use of skilled workers.
Automatic cartoning machine
This is a more complex device that does not require much human involvement to operate. You can use it for the following functions:
- Supply of packaging materials
- folding carton ears
- Install the carton to the correct position
- Carton inkjet printing
- Thermal Spray
- product insertion
- carton closed
- stamping date.
This is one of the best cartoning machines that will capture all the operations of an automatic cartoning machine. It has the ability to check the integrity of the carton to ensure it is of the correct quality. It comes with certain accessories like:
- Inkjet printer
- Hot Melt Adhesive System
- Folding System
- Brochure Insertion System
All processes of the fully automatic cartoning machine rely on a computer control unit. The control unit manages, controls and regulates all operations of the machine with minimal human assistance.
4. How to choose an automatic cartoning machine
If you’re going to choose an automatic cartoner, you have to consider a few factors. The most important factors you need to consider are:
- The size of the product you want to pack in the carton
- The number of items to pack.
- The size of your carton for packing
- The speed you want from an automatic cartoner
- Installation space available for automatic cartoner
- Requirements for carton size and product conversion.
In addition to the above factors, you can first look at the classification of automatic cartoners before making a choice. To choose an automatic cartoning machine, please refer to:
1) Safety of packing machine
Safety is paramount, even in whatever form of machine you choose to use. You must ensure that the machine is safe for the operator and that it will not be damaged. It should have a user-friendly working interface to improve the security of the machine.
2) Degree of automation
When choosing a cartoning machine, you can look at the degree of automation of the machine. In this category, there are two main levels of automation for carton machines. These include:
- Semi-automatic cartoning machine
- Fully automatic cartoning machine.
A fully automatic cartoning machine is better than a semi-automatic cartoning machine. It’s faster and doesn’t require a lot of extra personnel for normal tasks.
3) Production capacity
You have to match the type of machine you need with the technical capabilities of the line. This includes checking the production capacity of your processing plant.
For example, if you have a very high production capacity, then you should consider a high-speed packaging machine. The speed of the packaging machine should match the production capacity of your processing plant.
4) Product Type
You should remember to coordinate the type of material you need to use with the machine. Before choosing the machine you will be using, you must understand the material. Make sure you will use the type of material if higher grade and quality reliability.
5) Additional equipment and accessories
The machine should have headroom to give you the opportunity to install other accessories. You should be able to install other machines to complete this line.
6) Replace machine parts
When you are sizing cartons, consider a machine with few changing parts. When you use different sizes of cartons, the machine should have the ability to change quickly.
7) Machine picking mechanism
You should look at the technique the machine uses when picking the carton blank and check its compatibility with the specific substrate. The machine must pick the blanks correctly for the process to run smoothly.
8) Consider future needs
In the process of choosing a machine, take a look at the future prospects of automatic cartoners. It must have the latest technology compatible with future inventions.
5. Automatic cartoning machine closing technology
A cartoning machine has a specific standard or technology with which it is used to close cartons. The sealing technology of automatic cartoning machine mainly includes:
1) Shut up
Tuck inclosure uses the lid of the carton to create a durable closure technique. Flaps, you may also call tongue sticks with a shore lock or friction fit. The pleats can be found on panel 2 or the carton panel.
2) Hot melt adhesive seal
This technique involves applying hot glue to the carton outer lid to create a permanent seal on the carton. Hot glue sealing technology is suitable for cartons carrying heavier products, especially the bottom.
3) Combinations of hot glue sealing and sealing
Some cartons have hot glue and tucked in closed bonds to increase the strength of the cartons. You may find a carton with hot glue sealing the sides of the carton and bottom part. The tuck-in closure technology is usually at the top, making it easier for you to open and close the carton.
6. Troubleshooting Automatic Cartoning Machine
In the process of using the cartoning machine, you may encounter some problems. Below are some problems you might encounter and how to resolve them.
1) Draw a flat blank at the magazine infeed in the carton
Multi-pulse technology such as photoelectric sensors detects any failures on the machine and warns you.
You want to stop the machine immediately and fix the problem before it gets out of control.
2) Limit the speed of the machine to the manual lower limit
Make the design of the drug delivery board more reasonable and assist the speed regulation
3) Long-term high-speed operation, poor stability
Use servos that keep the machine running smoothly.
4) Carton failure due to air leakage or clogging of straws
Unblock the oil pipe and replace the leaking oil pipe.
5) Aging sucker
Replace ageing suction cups with new suction cups
6) Improper adjustment of the carton storage room
You can stop the machine and adjust the warehouse appropriately for faster and more proper delivery of cartons.
7) Inseparable carton blank
Stop the machine, take out the inseparable carton blank, and replace it with a better one.
8) Poor vacuum position
Overhaul the entire vacuum system and replace it in the proper location.
7. Technological Progress of Automatic Cartoning Machine
One of the latest technological advancements in automatic cartoners is the inclusion of sensors. Sensors such as photoelectric multipulse sensors help increase machine and user safety. You can use it to detect and signal any jamming of operators in the boxing system.
In addition to this, the sensor can automatically stop the normal operation of the machine when a problem is detected.
Other benefits of using sensors include:
- The processing speed of the machine is higher because it can diagnose and signal any problems to the operator.
- can automatically adjust the production changes of the packaging production line.
- You can easily combine it with the machine’s existing control system.
In addition to sensors, automatic cartoning machine have better technological advancements, including full automation.
The level of intelligence of machines has accelerated the process of digitization. This includes the advent of decentralized computers, which allow you to control machines from another location. Increased operator safety makes the cartoning machine more flexible. In addition to this, these advancements are the main reason for the miniaturization of machines, thus covering less space.
8. Automatic Cartoning Machine Quality Compliance
When you buy an automatic cartoning machine you should make sure it meets quality standards. Adhering to quality standards protects you from exploitation by manufacturers. It also ensures that your machine is safe to use and has longer durability. The main quality compliance systems that the machine adheres to are:
- ISO certification
- CE compliance
- UL certification
- Shipping cGMP compliance
- GMP quality compliance
Well, automatic cartoning machine come in different models and sizes for you to choose from. You can choose the machine according to your production needs. You can also order a custom automatic cartoner as long as it meets your specifications.