Manufacturers around the world put a lot of effort into production, from idea visualization to design to manufacturing. Their products are designed to meet market demand for consumer goods and special orders for specific industries. After production, marketing is the next step in introducing your product to consumers.
Packaging is a fundamental aspect of marketing as it contributes to the attractiveness of a product. Solid packaging machines fill this gap and provide packaging solutions for various products. This guide takes you through everything you need to know about a solid packing machine and consider when buying. Let’s find out!
1. What is a solid packing machine?
The solid packaging machine is a machine that packs solid products through various processes such as filling, labeling, and sealing. Manufacturers then deliver these products to retailers and other customers.
Some of the products that benefit from solid canning machines are food products, namely pickles, tuna, crackers, meat, fruits, vegetables and pharmaceuticals. There are different types of solid packing machines;
1) Solid filling machine
A filling machine is a device used to fill various products into containers. The machine fills these containers by volume or quantity. Solid filling machines are specially designed for solid products.
Solid filling machine
Containers come in different forms such as bags, jars, cans, cans, bottles, bags, pots, bags, boxes, etc. The filling machine is the only machine that interacts directly with the product in the packaging company.
Sealers are used in the packaging industry to seal products in containers. It is also called an edge banding machine. The machine seals the body of the container to prevent any leakage or contamination.
Containers are usually cans (aluminum, glass, paper, plastic, etc.), jars and jars. The sealing process is divided into three stages; During compression, the first roll runs and the second roll runs.
3) Packaging line canned line
A packaging line is an organized system that includes the packaging of finished products for transport and delivery. The packaging line includes various machines to achieve the final goal.
Some packaging lines integrate a coding system to mark products for accuracy during shipment and delivery, and to track these products in case of misplacement or delivery confusion.
Packaging lines are either semi-automatic or automatic today. You can also categorize packaging machines according to their automation mode. They are divided into:
4) Fully automatic solid packing machine
The automatic packaging machine is completely driven by the machine, only the equipment needs to be monitored. Automated machines eliminate human error that is usually unavoidable in manual or semi-automatic operations. Automatic packaging machines handle packaging containers such as cans and bags.
Fully automatic solid packing machine
The machine is equipped with a built-in PLC control system that allows the manufacturer to adjust the settings according to the customer’s specification and the manufacturer’s standard. Every machine in a packaging plant can be fully automated.
5) Semi-automatic solid packing machine
The semi-automatic packaging machine is partly operated by machines, some processes are completed by machines, and some processes are completed manually. The operator usually handles the product first and then lets the machine take over.
Operators also monitor the process to make sure everything is running smoothly. This machine is suitable for bag or can packing. Sealing machine, filling machine, filling machine, etc., can be automatic or semi-automatic.
Semi-automatic solid packing machine
2. About solid filling machine
This filling machine is composed of many parts to facilitate its work; They are as follows.
- Hopper: It is the part that loads the product into the container. For advanced solid filling machines, the hopper is equipped with a level sensor to detect the quantity of product.
- Mechanical transmission systems use mechanical motors to control all moving parts such as gears and conveyors. Mechanical drive systems produce rotational or linear motion depending on their design.
- Measuring Cups: Measuring cups measure container products, allowing accurate filling.
- Nozzle: A nozzle is a filling head attached to a hopper that directs product towards the container.
- Sensors: They ensure that the container is placed in the correct position directly below the nozzle while monitoring that no product is wasted when the container is not at the nozzle.
- PLC control system: It is the system that sets the filling process in the machine. Once the flow is set up, there is no need to manually address any steps in the flow.
So, how does this machine work?
The main function of the filling machine is to fill the container before sealing. The product needs the proper amount to maintain its integrity.
The process begins with placing containers on conveyor belts for transport. When the solid filling machine has multiple filling heads, it can fill multiple containers at the same time. Then, you put the product into the hopper, where it will go into the container. The number of products depends on the machine settings.
Set the filling machine to use weight or count to determine the final quantity of packaged product. Customization of these machines is possible if the right manufacturer is chosen. It can be customized according to the size of the equipment, production speed, filling capacity, solid filling electrical components or the whole machine. In addition to solid filling machines, there are other filling machines; Liquid filling machines and powder filling machines.
3. About Solid Sealer
The sealing machine is used for sealing. It includes various components to assist in delivering its primary sealing function. Below is the detailed section.
- Head: The head is also called the chuck. Chucks usually come in different sizes depending on the container. During the sealing process, the sealing head can accommodate cans and turntables. In addition, its role is to protect the container from the pressure exerted during the roller operation.
- Carousel: The sealing carousel or base is the rotating disc in a can sealer. The shape depends on the container to allow accurate insertion. Its role is to support the body of the container when it is sealed. It works by properly centering the body of the container and transferring the pressure from the spring to the chuck.
- Rollers: Each sewing machine contains a pair or more of rollers. Rollers help create double seams.
- Sealing Chamber and Vacuum Chamber:The sealing process takes place in a vacuum chamber where oxygen is removed from the container to prevent decomposition.
- Catapult:It is a rod that moves vertically in the center of the chuck and helps to properly position the lid on the can.
- Feeder Caps: The feeder selects the caps from the caps and brings the caps to the sealing area.
- Transport Equipment: During the sealing process, the sealing machine uses conveyors to transport containers from one point to another.
The sealing process is a combination of three strategies to ensure a tight and proper seal.
This process includes;
- Compression: During this phase, the machine generates the pressure needed to support the body against the chuck that supports the cover. The turntable pushes the body-up chuck, cap is. The hat is now on top of the body.
- First Roller Operation: During this stage, the rollers push the cover and body flange together. The link between the two is, however, loose. This stage determines the integrity of the final seam.
- Second Roll Operation:This is the stage of the tight seam. In addition, the double seam left on the seam extrusion seals the compound space, ensuring no leaks and contamination.
4. Automatic solid packaging production line
A packaging line is an organized system of machines that fills, seals, labels and packs products for the market. Because of the organization, a packaging line reduces the time it takes to complete the entire process.
Automating the system brings more benefits as this eliminates human error and packaging more product will be possible as the system will be faster. Various components form an automatic packaging line; They include;
Automatic solid packaging production line
1) Rotary bottle feeder / bottle feeder
The first component is the rotating feedable table. This is a machine that controls and introduces bottles to the packaging line. You set the bottle carousel usage frequency to control the speed at which bottles/cans enter the line.
Rotary bottle feeder
It is attached to the conveyor belt, where the bottles will move. The device comes in several sizes of tops, depending on the size of the bottle they handle. Additionally, some carousels can quickly change from one container size to another.
Conveyors are transport machines that transport cans, cans, bottles, etc. from the rotary feed table to the filling machine. Workers set the conveyor system according to the speed of the turntable or the most appropriate speed for maximum efficiency. Power conveyors come in different sizes and materials.
3) Filling machine
The solid filling machine is the next step in the packaging line. Here, the conveyor belt introduces the container to the filling. Filling machines have various components such as hoppers, nozzles, measuring cups, PLC control systems, sensors, mechanical drive systems to assist in filling containers. Filling machines work precisely to ensure that the expected quantity of product is accurate.
4) Can Sealing Machine
Start the sealing process after filling; The full container is sent to the sealing machine. The sealing process has three stages; During compression, the first roll runs and the second roll runs. All of these processes contribute to the integrity of the final seal. Sealing removes oxygen from the container, giving the product a longer shelf life. This process takes place in the vacuum chamber of the sealing machine.
Can Sealing Machine
When the sealing process is over, the resulting product obtains a tight seal, preventing contamination and any leakage.
5) Label machine
Bottle Cap Pressure Sensitive Labeling Machine The sealed container is then sent to the labelling machine. Here, labeling is done by applying a label or sticker precisely to the can. The adhesive on the label can stick to different surfaces.
Labeling machines can perform different jobs: front labeling, wrap labeling, or back labeling, sometimes more techniques are applicable. The machine consists of feeding hopper, driving mechanism, control panel (touch screen), labeling station, etc.
6) extra machine
The aforementioned machines are vital to any packaging line, but some companies have additional equipment that makes their work more efficient and enjoyable.
These machines include;
- Sterilizer/Rinse: A machine that sterilizes containers before placing product. The company uses UV lamps and blowing equipment to sterilize the containers before sending them to fill. The machine rotates to improve the cleaning precision.
- Coders: They put codes on the containers while adding dates on the cans.
- The rotary type can exceed the feeder: after the whole process is completed, the material is taken off the conveyor. This is beneficial because it reduces labor costs and time.
5. Solid packaging machines for different purposes
Solid filling machines, solid filling machines, and other packaging machines have several applications, especially in food, pharmaceutical, chemical, and beverages. Different industries use different machinery to package their products. For the food and pharmaceutical industries, they use the following machines.
1) Canned Food Packaging Machinery
Food packaging is crucial because many aspects, such as hygiene and quantity, are taken into account. The machines used for food packaging are;
Vacuum packaging machine: Food vacuum packaging machines are very efficient in packaging food. It removes air from the container, keeping food fresh for a longer period of time. Microorganisms that spoil food become inactive when using a vacuum machine because they need oxygen to survive. Examples of these machines are canners for tomatoes, sardines and vegetables.
Sealer: Common in food factories, used to tie wire to seal pockets and bags.
Stackers: They are used to bring order and align containers for food filling.
Bundled food packaging equipment: A machine that stores large quantities of food before bundling.
Bagging machine: A bagging device that packs grains, powders and other foods into bags, bags, and bags.
Sealers: These machines create a tight seal between the cap and the bottle to preserve the food inside and prevent leakage.
Labeling Machine: After the food is filled and sealed, the labeling machine applies the label in the store and during transportation for easy identification. An example is a tuna can labeling machine.
2) Medicine packaging machine
The pharmaceutical sector adheres to specific regulations to meet the safety standards of its products. They use several pharmaceutical packaging machines to meet these standards. Machine includes;
1) Pharmaceutical Filling Equipment
Used to fill pharmaceuticals and other products in different containers. There are capsule filling machines, ampoule filling machines, vial filling equipment, syringe filling equipment, etc.
2) Pharmaceutical Automatic Capping Machine
Capping is a step in the packaging of pharmaceuticals, ensuring that the product is always intact before use. Capping also improves quality by preventing product loss that could interfere with safety and quality.
3) Homogenizer equipment
Homogenizer reduces particle size, making it more stable and more suitable for clinical use. High pressure is essential for homogenization.
- What are the benefits of a solid packaging machine?
Solid packaging machines have some benefits for your business; They are as follows.
1) Quality Improvement
The automatic packaging machine is completely operated by computer, which eliminates the errors that may occur when workers use it. Machine presets with specific standards and specifications; Therefore, every final product will be according to the specifications.
2) Reduce the risk of employee injury
When operating a machine manually, there is always the possibility of injury, but on a packaging line, the machine does all the work. The workers just monitor the equipment to make sure they are working properly.
3）Reduce labor costs
If your factory has packaging machines, you only need a few workers to maintain the efficiency of the equipment. In addition, hired workers do not work long hours and their job descriptions are reduced; Therefore, wages will be lower than full-time jobs.
4）High production speed
The time to fill and seal each container will be greatly reduced. Thus, these machines work together, increasing the speed of production while reducing the time it takes to complete the process. Also, machines work tirelessly, unlike humans, which means there are no breaks or fatigue that could lead to quality issues.
Packaging machines have settings that allow them to use only the right amount of material or product, reducing waste. It will have a knock-on effect on your finances as you’ll spend less on materials and, moreover, the environment will like less handling.
Packaging machines can be customized to include specialty packaging that many people don’t know about. When the packaging is unique, it attracts more people to buy your product, which greatly increases profits.
7. Limitations of Solid Packaging Machines
Packaging machines are beneficial because they serve several industries. While they have many advantages, these devices also have some limitations that can hinder their efficiency. Some of these limitations are;
- Overuse of parts
When the machine is running, workers use it frequently, causing some parts to wear out. These parts contribute to the effectiveness of the action; Therefore, when they are exhausted, the process must stop. Machine wear and tear is inevitable, but you can delay the process by buying more machines so you don’t crash one. Also, when a part is no longer in use, replacement is necessary.
2) Improper machine settings
Automatic machines operate through digital settings, allowing them to work without human intervention. However, these settings are pre-set before the process starts. When set up incorrectly, the machine will still run indiscriminately. In order to guarantee the quality of production, all settings must be double checked before starting operation.
During operation, some machines may fail without any warning. It happens due to inappropriate or lack of maintenance. Regularly inspect the equipment to ensure that the equipment is in good working condition. In addition, the quality of the machinery is also one of the reasons for its sudden failure.
When the quality is poor, the life of the machine is reduced. It is crucial to background check your solid packaging machine supplier before purchasing to save yourself from avoidable expenses.
8. Considerations When Buying a Solid Packaging Machine
Packaging departments need the best machines to optimize their products. If you want to promote your product, packaging is one of the factors you have to consider. Armed with this information, it is clear that there are a few aspects you need to consider before purchasing a packaging machine.
1) The type of product you want to package
Products are packaged in different forms such as solids, liquids, and powders. Products have a variety of characteristics that affect the type of machine purchased. Consult your supplier and explain the specific product you’re dealing with so they can recommend the best equipment for you.
2) Machine cost
Although it is advisable to use the best machine you can get, sometimes cost can get in the way of what you want. Different devices have different prices depending on the brand, quality, efficiency, etc. When considering long-term investments, be sure to plan carefully. If you have a low budget, choose a machine that requires very little maintenance, as this is also an important cost factor.
- Factory space:
The space where the machine is located must be sufficient. Some devices require very little space and still provide high-quality work. Choose according to your room, don’t go too far, because there is no space, the packing line will not be used.
- Safety concerns:
Whether the machine is automatic, semi-automatic or manual, safety concerns are critical. In some cases, the device requires human intervention while monitoring the process or processing. Make sure the machine you choose has integrated sensors, override functions, and more to keep workers safe during the job.
It is clear that packaging is an important process as it serves other industries providing products to their customers. The industry has been evolving over the years, and more and more technologies can improve its efficiency.
If you are a manufacturer dealing with any product that requires quality packaging, then Jochamp has you covered. We offer a complete line of packaging machines. We can customize our machines to your liking. Please contact us for more information.
Other Related Information:
Shisha Tobacco Packing Machine
For all your carton folding machine needs, contact us now.